Sweet Potato Ice Cream
- 1 – 1.5lb bag Mim’s Famous Sweet Potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1/3 cup small marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Place on a baking sheet and bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until very soft. Cool until easy to handle, then remove and discard the peel. Puree in a food processor or blender. Measure out 1 cup puree and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat cream, milk, and sugar over medium heat. Stir constantly. Remove from heat just before the mixture begins to simmer.
- Lightly whisk egg yolks in a separate medium bowl.
- Slowly, pour half of the warm cream mixture into the bowl with the yolks, whisking continuously. Then pour egg/cream mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the cream mixture.
- While whisking, continue to cook over low heat. Remove from heat when the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon, after about 4-6 minutes.
- Pour cream mixture through a strainer into a large bowl.
- While mixture is still hot, stir in sweet potato puree, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt until completely blended.
- Let cool to room temperature then refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Once mixture is chilled, freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- When ice cream is almost frozen, mix in any optional ingredients like white chocolate chips, chopped pecans or marshmallows.
- When ice cream is frozen, remove to airtight containers and place in freezer for at least 4 hours to continue to harden.